I am sure you are as busy as I am these days getting ready to celebrate the biggest birthday of the entire year. Yes, there is shopping to be done, lists to be checked and an anticipation in the air waiting for "the big day."
It is our turn this year to host the annual neighborhood Christmas party. I have several favorite recipes to make for the party and I want to include this cute Santa Cake.
He is a family favorite and I thought he would be a festive addition to the party. I am including the directions here in case you would like to make one too.
He is so easy ... I use a boxed cake mix and then make up a Buttercream Icing. Just follow the easy steps below:
- 1 box Cake Mix (I used chocolate)
- Small tube of blue Gel for the eyes (available in the baking section of the grocery store)
- Shredded Coconut for Santa's beard and the white on his hat.
- 1 Marshmallow for the end of Santa's hat.
- 1 Malted Milk Ball for Santa's nose.
- Red food coloring.
- Buttercream Icing (See recipe below)
- Cake decorating icing kit (available at Wal-Mart or craft stores.
- 1 stick of butter, soft but not melted
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt (to your taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 - 4 Tablespoons milk
- Bake cake according to directions on box. I used two rounded cake pans.
- Add all icing ingredients together and beat with electric mixer until extremely smooth.
- Ice between layers and ice entire cake.
- Mix red food color with enough icing to decorate the red portions of Santa's hat and to add a decorative ring around the bottom of the cake. Use the icing kit for this step.
- Add shredded Coconut for the bottom of Santa's hat and around for his beard.
- Place a large marshmallow at the end of Santa's hat.
- Take a small portion of the coconut and mix just a little red food coloring to make the pink for Santa's cheeks.
- Cover the Malted Milk Ball with the red icing you used for the hat and the decorative ring, and place in position for the nose.
- Pipe in an icing mouth.
- Apply blue Gel for the eyes.
This all sounds complicated as I go over all the steps for making this cake, but it really is very easy.
Another option would be to make these cute little Santa cupcakes as shown below. As you can see all you do is make cupcakes and then:
- Ice with white icing (I used the Buttercream Icing.)
- Use Red Hots candy for the hat.
- Add a small marshmallow for the end of the hat.
- Add blue M & Ms for the eyes and a red M & M for the nose.
- Add a little shredded coconut for the beard.
These recipes appeal to the "kid" in all of us and the cupcakes are a fun project to make with children and grandchildren.
Enjoy this holy season as we all prepare to celebrate the birth of the baby Jesus and the wonderful blessings of this special time of year.