Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Southern Praline Pecan Cake Recipe

There was an old song long ago called,  "If I Knew You Were Coming I'd've Baked a Cake."  It is a really cute, happy song, and I think of it often from my childhood.   Anyway, when we knew we were going to visit a good friend during the holidays I thought, "Well! He is not coming, but we are going,  and I think I'll bake him a cake!"

He loves Butter Pecan Ice Cream so I went looking for a cake recipe that might have a similar flavor and the below recipe sounded like something he might enjoy.

SOUTHERN PRALINE PECAN CAKE
from
Allrecipes.com - Submitted by Debbie Halford


I used the only Bundt-type cake pan I had,  and because of all the ridges on the side of the pan there was a little concern that it might stick to the sides or break apart when coming out of the pan.  

I sprayed the sides of the cake pan really well with Pam Olive Oil spray in hopes of preventing the cake from coming apart.  Well,  as you can see, the cake cooperated very nicely and slipped right out of the pan all intact after it finished baking.

SOUTHERN PRALINE PECAN CAKE RECIPE

INGREDIENTS: 
  •  1 package Butter Pecan Cake Mix
  •  1 container  Coconut Pecan Frosting  (I found this Frosting on the cake isle at the grocery.)
  •  4 eggs
  •  3/4 cup vegetable oil  (I used Olive Oil.)
  •  1 cup water
  •  1 cup chopped pecans
 DIRECTIONS:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2.  Spray a 9 or 10 inch Bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
  3.  Combine the cake mix with the frosting, eggs, oil, water and 1/2 of the pecan pieces.
  4.  Mix until combined.
  5.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 pecans in the bottom of a prepared Bundt pan.
  6.  Pour in the prepared cake batter.
  7.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
I waited until the cake cooled before trying to turn the cake out onto the cake plate. (In this case, it was a paper plate which was better for transporting.)

You might wish to add powdered sugar sprinkled on top.  Or, serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we reached our destination and visited for awhile our friend served a nice warm cup of coffee and a piece of Southern Praline Pecan Cake!  Just to let you know, it turned out to be a very good recipe;  nice and tasty and not too rich!

Wishing you many blessings during this first month of the new year wherever you may be!


No comments:

Post a Comment