Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Elementary and Middle School Graduation

This past week was a special milestone week as two of our grandsons advanced on to the next level from elementary and middle school.

In the below photo is grandson Will who is graduating from middle school 8th grade, and advancing on into high school.  That is Will in the blue shirt walking across the stage and getting a congratulatory handshake from the school principal followed by other Leon County school authorities.
Middle School Graduation

The ceremony took place at the gymnasium of Chiles High School here in Tallahassee.  Approximately 350 students from Will's 8th grade will advance on into high school. 


On the right is Will 13,  just days away from turning 14,  with family:   Big brother John Scott 16,  Dad,  Preston 11,  Lawson 8  and our daughter,  his Mom,  after the graduation ceremony.


In the below photo is our 11 year old grandson Preston, in the blue shirt 
on the stage to the left,  shaking hands with school officials.
Elementary School Graduation

During the fifth grade graduation ceremony program, a School Board member read a very inspiring book to the whole class.  The book is called,  "I Knew You Could."

We are all familiar with "The Little Engine That Could," a book that has been inspiring all age groups since 1930 with the story about a small little blue engine willing to try what seems an impossible task.  With a positive attitude the little engine repeats,  "I think I can, I think I can."  Then as she successfully pulls her heavy load over the mountain she repeats,  "I knew I could, I knew I could. "  This book has been reminding generations of readers to always do their best with determination and to help those in need.


In 2003  "I Knew You Could!"  a new little engine book came on the market.  The determined Little Blue Engine is back, bringing inspiring and enlightening words of wisdom to graduates of all ages as they make the transition from one phase of life to the next. 

"I Knew You Could" provides familiar comfort in changing times.  From "I think I can" to "I knew I could," The Little Engine helps kids of all ages realize that anything is possible if you just put your mind to it!
The inside cover of "I Knew You Could"  reads:  A Book for All the Stops in Your Life
followed by a short excerpt from the book:
I knew you could!
And you knew it, too-------
That you'd come out on top
after all you've been through,
And from here you'll go farther
and see brand-new sights,
You'll face brand-new hills 
that rise to new heights. 


Each page in the entire book is a page of inspiration with the last page giving this advice:

There's more about life that you'll learn as you go,
Because figuring things out on your own helps you grow.
Just trust in yourself and you'll climb every hill.
Say, "I think I can!"  and you know what?
You will! 

We thought this book "I Knew You Could!"  was a perfect choice to inspire these young fifth grade students as they moved on to the next level in school.


A big day for Preston advancing from fifth grade Elementary School on into Middle School.


We later enjoyed a family dinner at Preston and Will's home to celebrate the two separate events.  Everyone brought a covered dish for dinner, and Aunt Stephanie brought her delicious chocolate-chip-cookie-cake seen in the lower portion of the below photo.  

The boys LOVE her cake and it is easy to make.  She makes the chocolate chip cookie recipe then spreads the dough out on a jelly-roll pan and bakes until cookie dough rises and is completely cooked.   Using the grocery store cake icing she pipes the icing into a decorators bag and decorates the cookie-cake.

Happy graduation Preston and Will.

 I am so glad you stopped by for a visit and joined us for these two special events.  Wishing you many blessings and a happy Tuesday to you wherever you may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment