If you want a really super delicious "Bed and Breakfast" type breakfast recipe to fix for your family or visiting over night guests, this recipe would be it.
While looking for a delicious sounding recipe, and something different I had not prepared before, for a Garden Club Brunch covered dish, I found this recipe. I know you are not supposed to serve a dish not tested in advance, but it sounded so good I took the chance anyway. Everyone loved it.
I saved a piece to take back home to my husband and he gave it his seal of approval. So then I thought it was a recipe worth sharing with you.
YUMMY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
As you can see the ingredients are simple.
I always look for the healthier version for the ingredients, such as lean Turkey Sausage seen below.
And, reduced-fat Swiss Cheese.
And, fat-free Half and Half.
The below photo shows the prepared recipe ready to go into the oven.
That does look so-o-o-o yummy!
The best part of making this recipe is that it makes two quiche-type pies, one for your family, and if you choose, one to share with someone just to say, "We are thinking of you."
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 3 cups shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 uncooked pie shells
- Place and arrange a pie shell in each pie dish. Set aside.
- Crumble sausage and cook until completely done. Drain sausage on a paper towel.
- Allow the sausage to cool a little and mix with the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Place half of the sausage and cheese mixture into the bottom of each pie shell and spread evenly.
- Beat all of the eggs together.
- Combine remaining ingredients together and add to the beaten eggs.
- Pour half of the mixture into each shell, over the sausage. Do not stir. The sausage may float to the top.
- I grated some additional Swiss cheese to put on top of the finished mixture.
- Then for a little color I sprinkled a little Paprika on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until firm in the middle of the pie.
- Cool on a baking rack.
Wishing you a wonderful Monday and a nice beginning of the week wherever you may be.