Monday, December 3, 2012

A Sparkling Afternoon

Today was one of those days when everything outside was glistening and sparkling in the sunlight.  As I looked out the back door from home, the yellow top of the Ginkgo tree down the hill caught my eye.  My husband became inspired to plant one of these trees when he saw one during the Fall in his hometown, about an hour drive up the highway in Moultrie, Georgia.  He planted this Ginkgo tree about 30 years ago.

Ginkgo Tree

I read that the Ginkgo tree was the oldest living tree on the planet.


The Ginkgo tree is a nice tree to plant in your yard because of the stunning golden Fall foliage.  Also, it is disease resistant and easy to grow.  It does require a well-drained planting area and full sun to partial shade in order to survive.


It takes many years, but the Ginkgo tree can grow up to 50-80 feet high and can spread out 30-40 feet wide.


It is always a treat every Fall to look down the hill from home and see this beautiful tree as it turns  bright golden yellow.


On this beautiful day there was much to be done, including driving across town to do some Christmas shopping.  I'm so glad I decided to bring my camera with me.   As I drove along, the sunlight coming through the trees was so sparkling and beautiful,  I thought it was worth a try to see if the camera could see what the eye could see.


One of the reasons we enjoy living in Tallahassee is all the beautiful trees and natural countryside.


During my travels I passed by this Bradford Pear tree in the below picture.  These trees, as you may know, are popular landscape trees across our Southeast region.  Many people fall in love with the rich autumn color and white spring blossoms of these popular trees.

Bradford Pear Tree

In the below photo is another Bradford Pear tree in the background, with an Oak tree in the foreground,  which is filled with draping Spanish Moss.  There seems to be more Spanish Moss than usual this year.  I guess even Spanish Moss can have a good season.


Another Bradford Pear tree.


Passing by pretty countryside on my trip across town.


My driving route included traveling down Pisgah Church Road, one of the many canopy roads here in Tallahassee.  A canopy road is completely covered-over with tree limbs, meeting in the middle, arched high above the roadway.  You feel like you are driving in a tunnel of trees.  The trees you will mainly see along the canopy roads are the huge moss-draped live oaks, sweet gums, hickory trees, and huge pine trees.  There are 28 miles of canopy roads within the city limits and 58 miles in the unincorporated area.

Pisgah Church Road

If you continue not too far east on Pisgah Church Road, you arrive at the little church this road was named after.  My travels did not take me there today, but later on I want to show you this little historic church and tell you more about it as well.

I hope it was a beautiful, glistening day wherever your route took you today!  Thanks for stopping by and do come again anytime.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures, Pat ... the Ginkgo tree is one of my favorites, as you probably know from my blog posts about the one in the Vicksburg National Cemetery, and yours is absolutely stunning. I know you love looking out at it from your windows, especially this time of year ...

    ReplyDelete